India is home to around 33 per cent of all the blind individuals in the world, and low-income areas like Bihar and UP bear the largest amount of this burden. The World Health Organization predicted that the burden of blindness & vision impairment in India would be $162 billion between 2010 and 2020. The commonness of blindness is higher in Indian districts like Bihar, where social, economic, educational, and health factors are lowest. The most seriously affected states are Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, which have a combined population of 305 million.
Bihar, one of the impoverished states in India, is severely affected, with 700,000 blind & 4.3 million visually impaired people.
Akhand Jyoti Eye Hospital was established in the year 2005 with the goal of eliminating curable blindness from low-income regions by offering comprehensive, accessible, high-quality, and affordable eye care services to the community. Since then, there has been no looking back, and with time, their sincere promise to give the disadvantaged Indian community access to high-quality and affordable eye care has grown more and more unwavering. Doing over 75,000 surgeries annually, Akhand Jyoti has emerged as the largest eye hospital in Eastern India and one of the TOP 5 major eye hospitals in India today, that offers comprehensive eye care services such as refractive error correction, cataract treatment & surgery, specialty care for glaucoma treatment & therapy, retinal care, squint treatment & therapy, Corneal care and child eye care. Akhand Jyoti Eye Hospital – a 500+ bed network eye hospital chain with its 5 hospitals and 35+ Eye Clinics, stands as the most preferred and most trusted eye hospital in the region.
The outreach programme of the Akhand Jyoti covers the rural hinterlands of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, where the extensive outreach activities involve holding eye screening camps and making door-to-door visits in villages. The eye camps are to identify visually impaired patients (mostly aged patients) due to cataracts (preference given to the blind patients who are blind due to cataracts in both eyes). The outreach team identify the needy visually impaired patients, bring them to the nearest Akhand Jyoti surgical centre (hospital), operate on them and arrange to send them back to their places after the sight-restoring surgery. These sight-restoring eye surgeries are provided free-of-cost (100% free) to the poor and underprivileged patients. 80% of the surgeries Akhand Jyoti does are completely free to the poor.
Akhand Jyoti’s activities and impact over the last 9 years from April 2013 to November 2022:
23,467 – Eye camps organised
4,022,033 – Patients screened/ examined
576,615 – Surgeries performed
466,219 – Free Cataract surgeries performed
304,244 – Spectacled dispensed
Moreover, their school screening programme is done to identify school students suffering from visual impairment (especially refractive errors) and help them with free treatment by providing spectacles and eye surgeries, free of cost. They are supported by a strong support group and a sizable volunteer/community organiser platform.
From July 2018 to November 2022, the school screening impact numbers are:
167,232 – Eye Screenings done
1,197 – Schools Covered
1,758 – Spectacles Prescribed
1,510 – Spectacle Distributed
80% of the sight-restoring surgeries performed by experienced eye specialist and surgeons to restore sight to the needy, are free. The money earned from the other 20% goes toward funding more free procedures. Quality has never been sacrificed at this eye hospital in Bihar in favour of quantity and has the highest surgical success rate. Akhand Jyoti’s surgical complication rate is less than 2%, which is considerably lower than many hospitals of comparable size or even larger. Hospitals performing massive numbers of cataract surgeries are estimated to have an acceptable surgical complication level of up to 5%.
With the passage of time, Akhand Jyoti Eye Hospital has expanded into the biggest eye hospital in Eastern India, providing the general public with thorough, excellent, conveniently accessible, and fairly priced eye treatment in addition to free procedures for patients who are less fortunate.
Akhand Jyoti is building a 500-bed Centre of Excellence (CoE) which will probably world’s 1st Centre of Excellence in eyecare in a rural area. The new hospital will be operational by October, 2023. The hospital also plans to have 160 eye clinics across Bihar and Eastern Uttar Pradesh by the year 2030. With existing 500 beds and 500 more beds in the CoE, Akhand Jyoti plans to create the biggest legacy for the people in the region who have been deprived of proper eye care. As part of its “Vision 2030” Akhand Jyoti Eye Hospital plans to do 12 million eye screenings and 2 Million eye surgeries.
For any query you may call our helpline at 06158354444